History

Farrington's Grove Historical District was first settled in 1841 by James Farrington, an attorney, state senator, bank president, and associate in the pork packing firm of H. D. Williams and Company. Much of the district was owned by Mr. Farrington. Near his home, "Woodlawn" at Fifth and Farrington Streets, stood a grove of trees where local residents gathered for picnics, barbeques, 4th of July celebrations, and to hear political speeches. His house no longer stands, but the historical district takes its name from Mr. Farrington and his grove of trees.

"Strawberry Hill", located approximately one-half miles south of "Woodlawn" was another gathering place for the residents of Terre Haute. It was a site of celebrations, orations, and in 1944, even a public hanging. Among the orators who spoke at Farrington's Grove and Strawberry Hill were Stephen A. Douglas, Jesse D. Bright, Oliver P. Morton, and Cassius M. Clay. For more detailed information on the history of Farrington's Grove see the National Register of Historic Places Inventory Nomination Form on file with the United States Department of Interior National Park Service and our own Vigo County Historical Museum on South Sixth Street.

The first formal meeting of Farrington's Grove Historical District, Inc. was organized in 1976 under the sponsorship of the Terre Haute Redevelopment Department. The purpose of the organization was to raise the standard of housing through restoration and improved maintenance. Interest in the area was sparked by walking tours and neighborhood involvement. In the spring of 1986, Farrington's Grove because the first residential neighborhood in Terre Haute to be listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
 
 
Site content and other information ©Farrington's Grove Historical District Inc. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate, redistribute, or display this site in any form without the specific written permission of the webmaster.