History On Select Houses In Farrington's Grove

The following information is from the U.S. Department of Interior, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places Inventory.

900-904 South Fourth Street
Williams-Warren-Zimmerman House
Built between 1849 and 1854
Style: Greek Revival
This one-and-one-half story Greek Revival home is the oldest house in Farrington's Grove. It was built for Henry D. Williams, founder of the largest pork packing firm in Terre Haute. In 1859, it was purchased by William B. Warren, who was involved in the dry goods and pork packing businesses. He was also the first president of the Terre Haute Opera House Company and president of the Terre Haute Gas and Light Company. The house was originally located on Sixth Street and was moved to its current location


800 South Fifth Street
Meyer-Gantner House
Built: 1923
Style: Mission-Style
Built in 1923, this two story stucco house is the only Mission-style structure in the district. The original owner was Henry Meyer, who was the secretary and general manager of the Citizen's Mutual Heating Company and treasure of the Terre Haute Mutual Fire Insurance Company.


823 South Fifth Street
Grover-Shannon-Lee House
Built: 1856
Style: Greek Revival
This one-and-one half story brick structure was designed in the Greek Revival style. The original owner, Joseph Grover, was one of the pioneer manufacturers in the area and owned and operated the Eagle Foundry at the corner of First and Walnut. The Grovers were one of the first families to build in this section of town. Patrick Shannon, a prominent Terre Haute banker, purchased the house in 1873. It was later owned by James P. Stunkard in 1897 and by J.G. Lee in 1955. The house remains in the possession of the Lee family.


824 South Fifth Street
Potter-Steele-Tabor House
Built: 1870
Style: Italianate
This dignified, two-and-one-half story Italianate brick structure was built in 1870 by Samuel Potter who sold it in 1874 to Colonel George Kirkpatrick Steele, a prominent Indiana businessman, Republican state politician, and Union Army officer. Mr. Steele was instrumental in bringing several of the railroads from Indianapolis to western Indiana. He served for many years in the Indiana legislature where he opposed slavery and the southern secession. He also worked to elect Abraham Lincoln president in 1860 and was Chairman of the state committee which welcomed President Lincoln to Indiana on February 11, 1861, when he was enroute to Washington, D.C., for his inauguration.


825 South Fifth Street
Reckert-Robertson House
Built around 1890
Style: Queen Anne
Built around 1890, this two-and-one-half story Queen Anne style structure is sheathed in clapboard siding with a sunburst motif in the front gable. The house was first occupied by Frederick Reckert, a cutter and later manager of Ehrmann Manufacturing Company, a clothing establishment in Terre Haute.


507 South Sixth Street
R.N. Hudson House
Built around 1868
Style: Italianate
This fine two-and-one-half story Italianate brick structure was built around 1968 by S.T. Reese for Colonel Robert N. Hudson, a lawyer and publisher who served in the State Legislature in 1849 and 1853. In 1882, Thomas B. Johns bought the house and in 1891, sold it to Benjamin G. Cox, a partner in Hulman & Company. The house was purchased in 1918 by Alfred M. Ogle, a coal operator. It was later sold in 1923 to Paul N. Bogart, a banker. Since 1931, the building has been occupied by the Women's Department Club.


800 South Sixth Street
Cruft-Crawford-Ward House
Built around 1893
Style: Queen Anne
Built around 1893, this massive, two-and-one-half story Queen Anne style home has a brick and frame exterior. From 1896 to 1907, the house was the residence of John W. Cruft, a retired treasurer of the Vandalis Railroad. The house was purchased in 1908 by James A. Crawford, president of Watford Oil and Gas Company.


1000 South Sixth Street
Ludovici-Cajacob House
Built: 1873
Style: Italianate
An excellent example of Italianate style, this two-and-one-half story brick structure has a multi-gable roof with classic returns. It is ornately detailed and features plain and vermiculated quoins at the corners of the house and scroll-sawn brackets on the cornice. The property also contains a brick carriage house. The building was designed by J. A. Vrydagh and constructed by Kimball and Hunter. The original owner, John B. Ludivici, came to Terre Haute in 1850 and started a very successful grocery business.


1200 South Sixth Street
Talley House
Built: 1928
Style: Colonial Revival
This home was built by Homer Talley, who along with his two brothers operated numerous coal mines in west central Indiana. The house was designed by the prominent local architectural firm of Johnson, Miller, Miller, and Yeager and features an exterior cladding of Pennsylvania fieldstone, handpicked by the Talleys and hauled to Terre Haute by railroad boxcar.


1327 South Sixth Street
Built: 1920
Style: Colonial Revival
Built by F. Macy Cogwill, this house was purchased in 1930 by Anton (Tony) and Mary Hulman as their place of residence. Mr. Hulman was born in 1901 in Terre Haute and attended St. Benedict's School. After receiving a degree in engineering from Yale University's Scientific School in 1924, he returned to Terre Haute to join the family's grocery business �EHulman & Company, which produced a series of baking powders, including Clabber Girl which remains the company's main product. Tony Hulman is best remembered for purchasing and saving the Indianapolis Motor Speedway from destruction in 1945 and for making the Indianapolis 500 the "Greatest Spectacle in Racing�E Mary Hulman was from Evansville, Indiana, and the only daughter of John Herrmann Fendrich of La Fendrich Cigar Company.


1503 South Sixth Street
Built: 1885
Style: Queen Anne
Built by Herbert E. Madison, this house became the home of Chapman Root who owned the Root Glass Company, which created the Coca Cola bottle in 1915. The turret (pictured) was built as a shady porch to overlook Strawberry Hill, now the corner of Sixth and Seabury streets


1515 South Sixth Street
Built: 1930
Style: English Cottage
This house is a larger example of the English Cottage style that was popular during the 1920s. There are a number of well-preserved English Cottages among the newer homes in Farrington's Grove.


 
 
Site content and other information ©Farrington's Grove Historical District Inc. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate, redistribute, or display this site in any form without the specific written permission of the webmaster.